Send e-mail to: johnrevanetski@atlanticbb.net

Saturday, May 27, 2006

Blonds With Guns!

John’s note: These two reporters did an excellent, and extensive, job on this biography. But, it’s too long for this ex-journalist turned blogger. So I edited it to my liking.

The full story at:
http://www.jewishjournal.com/home/preview.php?id=14570




She’s Armed and President
NRA’s new Jewish leader shoots holes in stereotypes.
by Joshua Runyan and Idan Ivri, Contributing Writers


As a Jewish woman and Harvard-educated lawyer who practiced law in Los Angeles, Sandra Froman admits that, at least on paper, she doesn’t seem a natural choice to lead the National Rifle Association (NRA). But the Second Amendment, she said, is all about empowerment.

“I’ve never met a gun I didn’t like,” said Froman, 55, a California native who moved to Tucson in 1985. “I wish I had more time to practice. My favorite gun is normally the one I was able to take out most recently, but I shoot pistols, rifles, black-powder rifles.”

Froman became the newest president of the almost 4 million-strong NRA in April, immediately presenting a different face for an organization whose vibe has been almost reflexively white and male.

Jewish, female, lawyer and Left Coast is about as unstereotypical as it gets for an NRA leader. But when it comes to gun politics, Froman is as NRA as they come. “Firearms in America today represent freedom,” Froman told The Journal. “They represent the ability to defend yourself individually, and they represent the ability to defend yourself as a country. Firearms are a means of guaranteeing freedom.”

After attending Stanford University, she headed east for Harvard Law School, returning to the Golden State to practice law with firm of Loeb & Loeb. It was at her home 25 years ago that someone attempted to break in while she slept.

“The noise woke me up,” Froman said. “I came downstairs and saw this man trying to use a screwdriver to break through the lock on the door. I banged on the door. He stopped for a minute, and then kept trying to break in. I was scared to death. I didn’t know what to do.”

The would-be intruder didn’t get in, and he left before police arrived, but Froman’s outlook had utterly changed. “Here I am trapped in my house with this man trying to get in — it really frightened me. But they say time slows down, and I began thinking, ‘How dare he try to get into my house,’” she said. “I got angry. Real angry. I decided to take control of the situation.”
The next day, after looking up a gun store in the phone book, Froman signed up for firearms training. Soon after, she bought her first gun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home