Send e-mail to: johnrevanetski@atlanticbb.net

Monday, May 28, 2007

A Memorial Day Poem




This Everlasting Day:
Hymns, Anthems and Tears

By John R. Evanetski
with l'etude lyric, “The Battle Hymn of the Republic


My eyes are red for the tears I shed
listening to hymns and anthems play
on raidowaves for this memoriam day.


“Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord;
He is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored….”

My ears tuned keen to every patriotic note
Listening to lines poets long ago wrote
Stirred by lyrics drawn from Scriptural quote:


...“I have read a fiery Gospel writ in burnished rows of steel;“As ye deal with My contemners, so with you My grace shall deal”; Let the Hero, born of woman, crush the serpent with His heel...,

My memory quick recalls verses first read
honoring the brave of Union and Confederate dead
Now said for all soldiers felled by wartime dread.

“In the beauty of the lilies Christ was born across the sea, With a glory in His bosom that transfigures you and me: As He died to make men holy, let us live to make men free;While God is marching on”

My mouth wide opens echoing fateful words
set forever to mark this everlasting day.
It all just takes my breath away!


“Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! Our God is marching on...”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home